I don't know about the weather around your part of the world, but here in the midwest, we're finally experiencing some winter. Not much, but some. It's been cloudy, spitting something out of the sky (not exactly sure what to call it), and cold. I hate to use the word cold but... it's cold! It can be colder... but.... it's cold.
So earlier this week I thought grilled cheese sounded good. When I make grilled cheese hubby likes to have tomato soup. I decided
Homemade Tomato Soup (adapted from here)
4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
half a yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp basil
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1/2-1 cup half and half or if you're feeling crazy heavy cream (I just didn't have any)
1-2 tbsp corn starch
1. Fry bacon in a large soup pot until bacon gets brown and crispy.
2. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion cooked. Then add the ketchup. Stir for a few minutes.
3. Add the flour and stir for a minute to cook out the flour taste, then add the broth and seasonings.
4. In a separate bowl, dump the tomatoes and their juices. Smash the tomatoes up with your fingers, then add to the soup pot.
5. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes.
6. Use an emersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) or a food processor (in batches) to puree the soup.
7. Add corn starch if it needs to thicken a bit more. Then top off with the cream if you're feeling saucy.
8. Enjoy, or make a grilled cheese because you know you want to!
9. Oh and top with Parmesan cheese because why not!!